Monday, August 20, 2012

July update, better late than never

I have been trying to get around to posting my July update for almost a month now, and never seemed to have the time to do it.  I finally decided it had to be done, or I would have to do the August update at the same time!

My power usage was the highest it has been, by far, since I have had the solar panels installed.  Total usage from PG&E was 1166KWh, with solar generation being another 789.9 KWh.  A lot of this had to do with the weather, as it has been over 100 degrees here most of the summer.  In addition, my youngest daughter managed to break her arm, resulting in her being in a cast for 4 weeks, and not being able to be very active, resulting in a lot of home time for the family.

With the usage being so high, my costs skyrocketed.  PG&E charged $194.80 for the month.  The good news is that had I used the same amount of power last year, my cost would have been $508!  So, while my costs were pretty high this month, they are much lower than they would have been.

The monthly total solar generation for July was 810.6 KWh, vs an expected 921 (the expected values were adjusted downwards recently).  For the year so far, the estimates are about 10% higher than the actual.  Hopefully, it gets made up in the back half of the year!